Typography // Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication

26/08/2022–16/10/2022 / Week 6 - Week 8
Hasnol Rafiq bin Hasnol Raduan / 0356767

Typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication
 
LECTURES

Lecture notes - Task 1: Exercises

Typography Task 2 Progress Demo

For Task 2, Mr. Vinod shows what we must accomplish and how we ought to accomplish it. He demonstrates the ability we should have acquired by completing the previous tasks and applying it to this assignment.



INSTRUCTIONS


We must provide a 2-page editorial spread for Task 2. We are permitted to utilize small amounts of graphical content but neither photos nor color are permitted. Using Adobe InDesign to write and convey the text typographically, with the exception of Adobe Illustrator being used to create the headline.

Text Formatting and Expression:

Figure 1.1 & Figure 1.2 - Layout Sketches - JPEG (Week 6, 3rd October 2022)

In order to give the readers a sense of visual flow, I started both of my draft designs by drawing lines from the letter "F" in the word "FOLLOW." I chose to position "THE CODE" sideways because I believed it would simulate genuine coding. The first sketch's text is set up in a very simple manner, with the paragraphs being enclosed within the lines. The second sketch is much the same as the previous sketch, with more intriguing paragraph layout.

Digital Exploration
Figure 1.3 - Digitalized Exploration #1 - JPEG (Week 6, 5th October 2022)

Fonts: Futura Std Book (Main Body), Serif Std 55 Roman (Header/Sub Header)
Point size: 11 pt (Main Body), 14 pt (Sub Header), 80 pt (Header) 70 pt (Header)
Leading: 13 pt (Main Body)
Paragraph spacing: 11 pt (Main Body)
Line length: 57 Characters 

For my first digital exploration, I followed the same layout as my draft sketches by having the line come out of the 'F' in 'FOLLOW' and placing 'THE CODE' side ways to simulate genuine coding. However, I also had the all of the paragraphs be contained using lines. I used Serif for my header and Futura for my paragraphs. 


Figure 1.4 - Digitalized Exploration #2 - JPEG (Week 6, 5th October 2022)

Fonts: Futura Std Book (Main Body), Serif Std 55 Roman (Header/Sub Header)
Point size: 11 pt (Main Body), 14 pt (Sub Header), 80 pt (Header) 70 pt (Header)
Leading: 13 pt (Main Body)
Paragraph spacing: 11 pt (Main Body)
Line length: 57 Characters 

I adhered to the peer recommendations I received in Week 6 for my second digitalized investigation. I greatly improved the readability of the paragraphs by structuring them in a more engaging manner. To make it easier for readers to follow, use the lines to kind of divide the paragraphs rather than to completely overwhelm readers and enclose them. I used Serif for my header and Futura for my paragraphs.


Figure 1.5 - Digitalized Exploration #3 - JPEG (Week 6, 5th October 2022)

Fonts: Futura Std Book (Main Body), Serif Std 55 Roman (Header/Sub Header)
Point size: 11 pt (Main Body), 14 pt (Sub Header), 80 pt 
Leading: 13 pt (Main Body)
Paragraph spacing: 11 pt (Main Body)
Line length: 55 Characters/ 30 Characters

I made the decision to attempt something new and modify the header's appearance and layout for my third digital exploration. In order to maintain the notion of the header following the lines, I placed the header bottom and top rather than have 'THE CODE' placed sideways. It also significantly improved the appearance of the paragraph arrangement. I used Serif for my header and Futura for my paragraphs.


Figure 1.6 - Digitalized Exploration #4 - JPEG (Week 6, 5th October 2022)

Fonts: Futura Std Book (Main Body), Serif Std 55 Roman (Header/Sub Header)
Point size: 11 pt (Main Body), 14 pt (Sub Header), 80 pt (Header) 70 pt (Header)
Leading: 13 pt (Main Body)
Paragraph spacing: 11 pt (Main Body)
Line length: 57 Characters 

For my fourth digitalized exploration, I decided to follow the last layout with the header going from top to bottom but instead put 'THE CODE' to the side. A combination of all the previous layouts. I decided to put it in this layout because it felt a lot more cleaner while still being interesting to read. I used Serif for my header and Futura for my paragraphs.


Figure 1.7 - Final Digitalized Editorial - JPEG (Week 6, 5th October 2022)

Fonts: Futura Std Book (Main Body), Serif Std 55 Roman (Header/Sub Header)
Point size: 11 pt (Main Body), 14 pt (Sub Header), 80 pt (Header) 
Leading: 13 pt (Main Body)
Paragraph spacing: 11 pt (Main Body)
Line length: 55 Characters/ 30 Characters

I created a final editorial using Serif Std for the header and Futura Std for the main body. After attempting to kern the text with the main body's left-justified alignment, I added extra illustrations of arrows to the lines to denote the phrase "FOLLOW." The majority of the visual images were on one side of the page, while the header was on the other.



Final Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication


Figure 2.1 Final Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication with Grids and Guides - PDF, (Week 6, 5th October 2022)

Figure 2.2 Final Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication Separated - JPEG, (Week 6, 5th October 2022)



Figure 2.3 Final Task 2: Typographic Exploration and Communication - PDF, (Week 6, 5th October 2022)





FEEDBACK

Week 6
General Feedback: So that I can understand how the layout will actually look, the drawing has to be digitalized. The spread is kept tidy and understandable by the decent overall layout, good flow, and sparing use of visual graphics. To provide some visual hierarchy, the arrangement of the paragraphs might be made in a more fascinating fashion.
Specific Feedback: The work needs to be digitalized, and improve the layout more so it is more interesting to look at.
.
Week 7
No feedback given.

Week 8
No feedback given.




REFLECTIONS

Experience 
Via this experience, I gained knowledge of both the laws and fundamental criteria of layout design as well as the aspects of how to develop a layout using the skills I acquired through my previous coursework. The challenge I had the most was trying to come up with original layouts while yet adhering to the principles of typography. It was challenging since I was limited in how many illustrations I could use; I had to be content with what I had.

Observations
I've learned that each element needs to have a nice balance of design and text to produce a decent visual hierarchy when organizing text and building a layout. It's wise to keep the hierarchy of information in mind when planning and designing layouts. To support structure, elements also need to be in alignment with one another.

Findings
Although there aren't many detailed pictures, I discovered that even seemingly insignificant elements like lines may drastically alter the look of a layout. In the future, I must be careful with the size of each element because even a line's thickness could alter the layout's orientation.


Further Reading

Vignelli Canon on Design
by Vignelli Canon

Fig 3.1 - Vignelli Canon on Design

I have learnt how to create layouts and fonts from reading this book, whether it be for professional or personal usage. The book also covers intriguing methods for using grids to arrange typography in a symmetrical way, which will make it simple to create a page that looks basic but appealing. In particular, when having an understanding of how to create designs that appeal to an audience without being overdone, the color and placement of typography are crucial.




Fig 3.2 - Vignelli Canon on Design/ Pg .68

This page demonstrates elegant typographic design employing appropriate context-appropriate leading, appropriate usage of roman or italic font, regular spacing, crisp kerning, etc. Type is not used as a decorative element, but it is used in instances like package design when a more adaptable approach could provide superior outcomes.


Fig 3.3 - Vignelli Canon on Design/ Pg. 72

The disparity of scale on a printed page is covered on this page. In visual composition, white space is a crucial component. The white really makes it possible for the black to shine out. In typography, white represents what space does in architecture. The correct pitch of architecture is provided through the articulation of space.



Comments

Popular Posts