VIDEO & SOUND PRODUCTION // FINAL PROJECT

4/4/2023 - // Week 1 - Week 14

Hasnol Rafiq Bin Hasnol Raduan / 0356767
Information Design / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Taylor's Design School



INSTRUCTIONS





TASK

I am required to produce a stop motion video based on a given theme. I can use voice over, sound effects, and music to tell a compelling story. I have to confine the video to no more than 2 characters and locations, and include only 1 event in less than 15 shots.

DELEGATION OF TASKS

To make sure our project runs smoothly, Jequllunz and I have decided to divide our tasks strategically. We understood how crucial it was to assign tasks that matched our individual abilities. Jequllunz, who has a natural artistic talent and a deep love for creating things by hand, was responsible for making the detailed pieces needed for our stop motion video. In her role, she would create planets and a spacecraft.

However, I took on the responsibility of editing and handling post-production tasks. Using my technical skills and experience in Adobe Premiere, I carefully worked to make sure the stop motion frames were sequenced smoothly. 


IDEA PROPOSAL



"Lunar Migration: The Celestial Journal of a Moon" is the result of our creative journey as university students coming to to pass. We've used stop-motion animation to create a beautiful story about an icy comet's journey through the solar system. The comet finally reaches our vibrant planet Earth. We want to make our project visually stunning, with great attention to detail and a surprising element. Our goal is to spark the viewer's imagination and create a feeling of awe and wonder about the mysteries of the universe. We really hope that this stop-motion video makes a lasting impact on its viewers and helps reveal the incredible beauty and vastness of our universe, which we are lucky to call our home.


PRODUCTION SHOOT

In our stop-motion production, we recognized the significance of selecting an appropriate setting and equipment. The photography studio became our chosen backdrop due to its controlled lighting environment, providing consistent illumination and visually appealing results. The studio's spaciousness allowed us to arrange and manipulate the stop-motion pieces with ease, ensuring precise positioning for smooth animation. Additionally, we utilized the advanced camera capabilities of the iPhone 11 Pro, along with a dedicated stop-motion app, to capture detailed shots and simplify our production workflow with intuitive controls and a user-friendly interface.


Figure 1 - Production Shoot #1

While we were filming, we realised how crucial it was to divide our tasks strategically. This helped us work more efficiently and keep our workflow smooth and organised. I was responsible for bringing the stop-motion pieces to life as the animator. My main task was to add movement and create the illusion of planetary motion. To achieve this, I had to be very precise in handling the props, making small adjustments to their positions for every frame. It was crucial to ensure that each shot flowed smoothly into the next one.


Figure 2 - Production Shoot #2

At the same time, Jequllunz did a great job managing the photography part, taking each shot with great precision. She had a great ability to compose shots, paying close attention to every detail and understanding exactly what aesthetic was desired. This was crucial in making the shots visually appealing. Jequllunz was responsible for setting up the camera, making sure the lighting conditions were just right, and making any necessary adjustments to get the best possible visual quality.


SOUND EFFECTS

Figure 3 - Sound Effect Recording

Creating sound effects for our stop-motion video was a straightforward yet creative endeavour. Our goal was to recreate the extraordinary sounds that are often linked to celestial objects like comets and planets. In order to accomplish this, we decided to use everyday household items that we could manipulate to create interesting and distinctive sounds.

To create the sound of the comet, we tried out different materials like crinkling aluminium foil or rubbing a balloon. Our goal was to capture the otherworldly quality of its icy surface. We were able to record unique and fascinating sounds of comets by moving these objects close to the microphone on our phone. The sounds were made even better and changed during the post-production phase to make the listening experience more engaging.

We used our phone's recording capabilities to capture the sound effects. Recording with our phones has become so convenient and accessible that we can easily incorporate sound production into our workflow without any hassle. To accurately capture the desired sounds, we placed the phone's microphone near the manipulated household items.


EDITING

Figure 4 - Organising Clips

For organising my stop-motion clips, Adobe Premiere's timeline function proved to be a priceless tool. By placing the different frames on the timeline in a chronological sequence, I was able to create a fluid motion and narrative development. I could readily assess the timing, transitions, and general structure of my film by graphically showing each frame inside the timeline.


Figure 5 - Editting Sound Effects

I found that Adobe Audition offered a wide variety of editing and mixing tools, which allowed me to precisely shape and refine the sound effects. I was able to easily use the software's user-friendly interface to trim, fade, and adjust the levels of each sound effect. This helped me make sure that the sounds perfectly matched the stop-motion frames and the overall story of the video.

Besides reverb, Adobe Audition also provided me with a range of audio effects and plugins that allowed me to enhance the quality and impact of the sound effects even more. The software gave me the ability to adjust and control various audio elements in my stop-motion video, such as equalisation, dynamics processing, spectral editing, and noise reduction. It provided me with the flexibility and control I needed to fine-tune the sound to my liking.


Figure 6 - Adding Reverb

Reverb is a really important tool in audio editing because it helps recreate the unique sound qualities of different environments. When I was making my stop-motion video about planets, I found that using reverb in Adobe Audition was really helpful in creating the feeling of vastness and the otherworldly atmosphere of space. If I add reverb to the sound effects, it would give the impression that the cosmic environment of the celestial bodies has depth and make the viewers feel like they are really there.


Figure 7 - Adding Reverb

In addition to helping me organise clips and sync sound effects, Adobe Premiere provided me with a variety of editing features that enhanced the overall quality and visual appeal of my stop-motion video. I can use its wide range of tools to apply visual effects, adjust colours and tones, refine transitions, and add text overlays to provide context or enhance storytelling.


FINAL VIDEO

Figure 7 - Final Stop Motion

Creating a stop-motion video about space has been an incredibly transformative journey for me. With careful planning, skillful craftsmanship, and a spirit of creativity, I immersed myself in the captivating world of the cosmos. The obstacles encountered during the journey helped me grow and learn as a person. This project has not just given me the opportunity to demonstrate my creativity and technical abilities, but it has also sparked a greater admiration for the marvels of space and the endless potential for artistic expression. As I think back on this journey, I feel a great sense of achievement and anticipation for what lies ahead. I now have a deeper understanding and enthusiasm for delving into the wonders of the universe through the creative medium of stop-motion animation.



Comments

Popular Posts