Advanced Typography // Task 2A & 2B

 03/05/2023 - 31/06/2023 // Week 5 - Week 9

Hasnol Rafiq Bin Hasnol Raduan / 0356767
Advanced typography / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Taylor's Design School



INSTRUCTIONS






TASK 2A

Figure  - Key Artwork Ideas (03/05/2023)

My first idea for my key artwork was inspired on graffiti styled works and typewriter ink. I felt like this artwork reflected who I am a lot more because of its flowy and rigid less style. I was used graffiti as an inspiration because I felt that the characteristic and stigma of graffiti art closely reflects who I am. The direction of this work was to sort of merge everything together, which can be seen in my later works, but in doing so it made my artwork less legible. My second idea, I wanted to attempt to fit my name, 'Rafiq' inside the letter R. I decided to use the normal San Serif font to first test my artwork and see if it made sense. The third idea was an attempt to refine the second idea, instead of using the normal San Serif, I decided to build the artwork with circles. 


Figure - Key Artwork Exploration (05/05/2023)

After hearing the opinions of my peers, I made the decision to broaden the scope of my exploration even further and investigate the various fashions that would be able to adequately reflect myself. I started experimenting with a wide variety of blocky and bold typefaces since they were easy to work with and offered a great deal of scope for variety. I came to the conclusion that rather than attempting to incorporate my full name into a single piece of artwork, I could just use a nickname instead; doing so made the process of creation much simpler.      






Figure  - Refined Key Artwork Ideas (08/05/2023)

The first attempt at polishing my key artwork. I want to convey a sense of confidence and trust through the design I've created. In order to accurately convey the concept of structure, I designed the letters such that they could interlock with one another like jigsaw puzzle pieces. It didn't turn out to be a crescent moon, but I was looking for a design that was more visually beautiful and would also pay tribute to the country where I was born, Malaysia, which has a crescent moon included in its national flag.


Figure  - Refined Key Artwork Ideas (08/05/2023)

My second iteration of design refinement is pretty similar to the first; however, this time I decided to go for the security of a square form rather than taking the risk of using a crescent shape. My least fave design since it doesn't show any real indication of exploration, is overly straightforward, and demonstrates very little imagination. It seems more appropriate to compare the letter 'Q' to the letter 'N'.  
Figure  - Refined Key Artwork Ideas (08/05/2023)

When I was coming up with my third design, I didn't make any attempts to improve upon the two designs that came before it because I didn't want to keep using them. When I set out to construct this key artwork, one of my primary objectives was to create something that was funky and free-flowing and that better portrayed who I am. Even though this is the best design we've seen thus far, it still needs a lot of improvement. I can't wait to dig deeper into the design of this design.

Figure  - Expanded Key Artwork Ideas (18/05/2023)

I decided to expand on my refined key artwork. I finished the key artwork to fit my full name in two different ways, horizontal and vertical. I felt that my artwork felt very static and didn't really fit my personality as much as I would like, I decided to add a wavy effect to convey my "grooviness" and "flexibility". 


TASK 2B
Figure  - Key Artwork Color Palette (24/05/2023)

The brown and blue color palette combines warm earth tones with cool, calming hues for a harmonious blend. The colors make a cool contrast that grabs attention but still looks balanced. I picked out different shades and thought about how they would look to make a design that shows my values and personality.


Figure  - Expanded Key Artwork Ideas (24/05/2023)

I had to consider my values and personality when selecting a color palette. My key artwork's colour should align with my identity and communicate it effectively. Since my identity relates to being groovy and overall happy, using blue, brown, pink and white was the more suitable choice. As I refined the look of my key artwork, I experimented with different scales and proportions to see how they interact with the artwork. I tested how the pattern looks as a standalone element or when integrated with products.


Figure  - Key Artwork Instagram Layout (28/05/2023)

Creating a well-designed Instagram layout can enhance brand recognition, attract followers, and leave a lasting impression. I created high-quality images and graphics of ice cream products, such as popsicles and tubs, to create a specific brand image. I thought that my key artwork would fit best as an ice cream brand and decided to base my whole Instagram off of that. I attempted creating a well-structured grid pattern to add a sense of order and professionalism to my Instagram layout. I placed any pattern heavy design on the middle nearest to the center, to give it some harmony. 


Figure  - Key Artwork Animation (29/05/2023)

For my key artwork animation, I aimed to make it as simple as can be but still be able to drive the identity of the key artwork to the point. I made the background have a wave effect as well as my key artwork because throughout my designs, there have been a reoccurring pattern of waves.  


Figure  - Key Artwork Change (29/05/2023)

After receiving valuable feedback from Mr.Vinod, I decided to change the post that includes my face to a more appropriate face. The previous design utilized a picture of myself that didn't relate to the ice cream heavy brand that I have curated, so I chose a different image and added an ice cream to further push the ice cream brand image. 


l
Figure  - Key Artwork Final Layout (29/05/2023)

Overall, I didn't have to make many changes to the layout design at the end because it was already suitable from early on. I changed the center post to an improved and more appealing photograph of myself that fit the overall aesthetic I was going for. Additionally, I added the key artwork animation on the right side to make the layout look more visually appealing and engaging. The animation on the right side of the layout makes the whole layout alot more exciting and the animation not only catches people's eye, but it also shows how innovative and imaginative the brand is.



FINAL DESIGNS: 

Figure - Final Key Artwork - Black and White (07/06/2023)


Figure - Final Key Artwork - Colored (07/06/2023)


Figure - Final Key Artwork - Patterns (07/06/2023)


Figure - Final Key Artwork - Animation (07/06/2023)


Figure - Final Key Artwork - Products (07/06/2023)




FEEDBACK

Week 5 
Specific Feedback: My Key artworks were not legible and was very confusing to look at. My work doesn't follow my personality and doesn't suit my style.

Week 6
Specific Feedback: My first two designs show structure and confidence but it doesn't have a lot of space in between, which makes it look tight and impactful. My third design doesn't show sophistication but shows potential for further exploration.

Week 7

Specific Feedback: I should play around with more colors. I need to find colors that suit the style and them that my key artwork is aiming for.

Week 8
Independent Learning Week

Week 9 
Specific Feedback: My Instagram layout utilities the color palette very well. Theres a very clear theme and direction that the Instagram had. My post that includes my face should relate to the theme or at the very least be a proper picture. 


REFLECTION

Experience
Studying key artwork has been an enlightening journey that has transformed my experience. I've found out how powerful visual communication can be and how to represent someone's essence in just one symbol. Studying letterforms, striving for simplicity and uniqueness, and valuing versatility and adaptability have influenced my comprehension of important artwork and logo design. As I keep learning and developing in this ever-changing field, I'm thrilled to discover fresh opportunities and produce powerful artworks/logos that connect with viewers and make a lasting impact.

Observations
As a typography student, I've been exploring the art of key artwork design and it has been a very enlightening and rewarding experience for me. I learned about typography, how to balance simplicity and distinctiveness, the power of shapes and negative space, the impact of colours, the iterative design process, and the importance of contextual adaptability. With these observations and reflections, I'm stoked to keep improving my skills, pushing limits, and making art that has a big impact and truly captures the essence of brands.

Findings
Designing key artwork requires a combination of artistic skills, attention to detail, and the ability to convey a narrative. Learning never stops, especially when it comes to typography. There are so many possibilities to explore and discover. As a typography student, I've learned that good design is more than just looking nice. It's about getting to know the brand, using typography to convey its personality, and making a lasting impression on the audience. Every time I start a new project, I get really pumped to explore typography and discover fresh ways to be creative. 



FURTHER READING

Figure - The Vignelli Canon by Massimo Vignelli (2010)

strong identity programme, so that it can be changed in the right ways without changing the core identity. The author gives examples like book titles, where the markers stay the same but the cover art changes, and furniture design, where the user's input helps shape the end look without losing identity. In the end, the author emphasises that identity and variety are important parts of design that give it life and work together in a dynamic way during the creative process.

Comments

Popular Posts