Illustration & Visual Narrative / Task 1: Vormator Challenge Character

07/09/2022 - 04/10/2022 (Week 2 - Week 4)
Hasnol Rafiq Bin Hasnol Raduan (0356767)
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Illustration & Visual Narrative
Task 1: Vormator Challenge Character



LECTURES

We were introduced to the module and its requirements on the first day of class, and we received a briefing on the module's content. First, it was recommended that we utilize Adobe Illustrator for all of the projects and weekly chores this semester. It was specified that we will use Google Classroom to get notifications of weekly assignments, announcements, and course materials.



INSTRUCTIONS



TASK

Design and create ONE unique character by using the given sets of shapes. Start with a rough sketch of your character and then use Adobe Illustrator to create the final design. We are allowed to rotate, flip and duplicate the elements. We have to use all the Elements Scaling is allowed, but proportionally, so skewing or free transform, add, subtract, intersect and group elements as you see fit. The use of color is unrestricted; we can create our own color schemes (e.g. use adobe Color). We are allowed to use gradients. The Elements may be filled, the use of strokes is allowed. We are allowed to use filters or effects (e.g. drop shadows).



VISUAL RESEARCH


Figure 1.1 - Visual Reference #1



Figure 1.2 - Visual Reference #2



VORMATOR CHALLENGE

Figure 2.1 - Shapes

These shapes were provided for character design.



Figure 2.2 - Vormator Practices

My initial plan for my first try was to make a character design that was straightforward and endearing. My initial concept was a straightforward octopus, but I abandoned it since it lacked sufficient complexity. My second was intended to resemble a ghost, but since we were not permitted to change the forms, the top of the ghost had to be removed at the artboard. Though the third design was an improvement over the ghost, I didn't like it because of how simplistic it was.



Figure 2.3 - Vormator Silhouette 

I drew a simple silhouette of my chosen design. I decided to utilize the pathfinder tool to construct this design since it was the most intricate I could manage. I turned it into a silhouette so that I could see if the character's shape needed to be adjusted.



Figure 2.4 - Final Vormator 

I finished my artwork by creating an unsettling monstrous form that is intended to imitate the notorious Medusa from Greek mythology. I chose to use a vibrant color palette since I enjoyed the juxtaposition between a spooky form and cheerful hues. I'm happy with the product overall since the form and depth of the tail are consistent.



FEEDBACK

I should adjust the shapes so there is consistency and symmetry in the silhouette of the Vormator character. I was also encouraged to choose a choice of colours that go well together and can showcase the characteristics of the Vormator.



REFLECTION

It was a lot of pleasure to learn how my original concept evolved from a simple and straightforward design to a gigantic character design. I ultimately decided on the monster since I could create an interesting pattern. Through this work, I was able to discover a lot about the pathfinder tool.

Comments

Popular Posts