Illustration & Visual Narrative / Project 3 - Final Project Motion Comic

12/9/2022 - 30/11/2022 (Week 7 - Week 14)
Hasnol Rafiq Bin Hasnol Raduan (0356767)
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media 
Illustration & Visual Narrative
Task 3: Project 3 / Final Project Motion Comic



LECTURES

Storytelling Basics

What the narrative is actually about is its central theme. It's the essential notion or underlying significance. It frequently represents the storyteller's personal viewpoint on the issue. There can be both a main topic and supporting themes in a tale. A major theme is a concept that runs across the whole story and is linked with other ideas. A minor theme is a concept that appears more quietly and may or may not be repeated.

The tale is propelled by the battle. It's what intensifies the tension and produces the suspense that characterize an engaging tale. Without conflict, there won't be a compelling tale to tell, and the audience won't care either. An audience is captivated by conflict. It's what keeps them tense, on the edge of their seats, and impatiently anticipating whether the main characters will succeed in overcoming their challenge.

Characters with distinct roles or objectives are typically included in a tale. No matter how many characters a narrative includes, a protagonist and antagonist are nearly always present. Central The progression of the tale depends on the characters. They are the centre of the story. The protagonist is a story's primary character. He or she has an issue to resolve or a specific aim to achieve. Protagonists don't necessarily have to be likeable, but they do need to compel the audience's sympathy.
Protagonists are opposed by antagonists, who stand in the way of their ultimate objectives. Any character, object, or circumstance that poses a significant challenge for the protagonist might serve as the antagonist.



INSTRUCTIONS





VISUAL RESEARCH

Figure 1.1 - Visual Reference #1



The reason I chose Fig 1.1 as my visual reference is because I liked the whole vibe of the picture and thought that it would fit the style and theme of my comic, especially my cover.



Figure 1.2 - Visual Reference #2

Fig 1.2 was the reference that gave me the idea for a story to put into my comic. I thought the idea of cats fighting each other over a serious theme would  be a funny story that could intrigue viewers.


Figure 1.3 - Visual Reference #3

I chose Fig 1.3 as visual reference is because it inspired the overall illustration style in throughout the comic. This kind of simple comic style appeals to me and the theme of my comic.


COMIC LAYOUT

Theme: Violence & Comedy


I've always believed that combining the genres of violence with comedy makes for a compelling novel since it can capture the interest and attention of the reader. My favorite television program, Tom & Jerry, which is a wonderful blend of graphic violence and humor, served as my main source of inspiration for this comic.

PROCESS

Comic Cover

Figure 2.1 - Process of Cover

Figure 2.2 - Process of Cover


Figure 2.3 - Final Cover

My cover page was influenced by vintage shoe magazine covers from the 1990s. To make it clear to the viewers what sort of comic this would be, I used these design elements as well as a simple backdrop and color scheme. The readers can tell who they should be rooting for since the antagonist can be distinguished by the red eye glare and our protagonist is the largest figure in the picture. The colors help to communicate the comic's environment, which is a nighttime alleyway, making the scene seem more bleak and enhancing the violent themes.

Comic Panels

Figure 3.1 - Storyboard

Figure 3.2 - Process


Figure 3.3 - Process


Figure 3.4 - Process


Figure 3.5 - Process



Figure 3.6 - Final Comic (No Animation)


ANIMATION PROCESS


Figure 4.1 - Animation Process


Figure 4.2 - Final Animation 


FINAL PROJECT


Figure 5.1 - Final Comic Cover


Final 5.2 - Final Comic

Figure 5.3 - Final Animation




FEEDBACK

It was advised that I add a little more suspense and menace to the comic cover. In order to make the layout more interesting, I should also strive to add additional detail to the backdrop. It was suggested that I use purple as the backdrop color for the comic panel in order to evoke nighttime.



REFLECTION

This project has given me a sense of how to go about creating a compelling story and visuals that would hold the audience's interest. I've discovered that maintaining a well-established illustration, story, and animation for the whole motion comic requires discipline and consistency. The next time, I'll make better use of my time so that I can give my panels more depth and truly make my comic stand out. I've had the chance to conduct several trials and design thinking process just for my final project.

Comments

Popular Posts