Digital Photography & Imaging / Final Project


26/05/2022 - 00/06/2022 / Week 9 - Week 14
Hasnol Rafiq Bin Hasnol Raduan / 0356767
Digital Photography & Imaging / Bachelor of Creative Media / Taylor's University
Final Project



INSTRUCTIONS


We are to convey our personalities and identities through digital art in this project. using largely our own photos, editing them in Photoshop, and then animating the results.



RESEARCH

Fig - Visual Reference #1


Fig - Visual Reference #2

Fig - Visual Reference #3



IDEA DEVELOPMENT

BIOGRAPHY: 

Hasnol Rafiq Bin Hasnol Raduan is my name. I was born in Malaysia but have resided in the UAE for the past 17 years; I am 18 years old. I am pursuing a degree in Graphic Design at Taylor's University in order to work in advertising.


I like to perceive myself as an outgoing person who enjoys trying new things and challenging myself, but I can also be very lazy and sarcastic at times. I am not perfect but I am still learning new things about myself and trying to grow as a person so one day I can be a man that I am really proud of.


I enjoy very futuristic aesthetics such as cyberpunk because I find the whole concept very interesting since no one really knows what the future would look like so there is a lot of creative freedom. I also enjoy creating graphic works with grainy texture because I feel like that the grain in pictures adds a little realism and warmth to a picture, which I find comforting.

WORK STATEMENT: 

In my self-portrait, I want to highlight artistic creativity and self-expression. It's a self-portrait that aims to convey how I see myself to the audience so they may understand who I am and the sort of person I am.


The main features of this poster are the cybernetic parts that I have added onto myself, the reason I went for a cyber theme in this poster is because I was inspired by similar posters and was curious to see if I was able to make one myself. The text surrounding the poster has no real meaning to it, it was simply put there for aesthetic and bring the whole design together. I wanted to fill out the empty spaces so I decided to add little pictures of myself since the poster is meant to showcase me. The eye behind my figure is meant to emphasize the fact that my figure is staring into the viewer to help catch their eye.


The colour introduced to this poster was mainly mix of red, blue and orange. The reason I chose these colours for my poster was because it emulated that of heat vision, which is what my poster is named after. I thought that this was fitting because robots in modern media tend to utilise the function of heat vision, which I thought was a cool touch to my poster. I had the background be cool colours to contrast and help my poster stand out more.



Fig - Draft Poster #1

The concept for this poster was to transform myself into a paper collage character. I first picked this style because I felt it was a great approach to highlight my relationship to design, as well as because I enjoy doing collages in my spare time. It also demonstrates how my thoughts may be incredibly untidy and crowded at times due to the haphazard manner the papers are arranged. The colours were chosen to assist my physique stand out against the dreary background. The background is a concrete wall designed to complement the idea of dirty and trendy.



Fig - Draft Poster #2

This poster followed after more usual music festival posters with a variety of phrases and titles. I decided to create my poster in this manner because I like how music festivals make their posters, and I feel the text helps pull the poster together if executed correctly. The entire topic of my poster was space since I was a big fan of space exploration when I was small and wanted this design to represent that. I chose green, blue, and purple as the color scheme because I believed it would make the poster appear more extraterrestrial and cosmic. I made my figure droop and the backdrop swirl because I wanted each piece of the poster to appear out of this world. With the swirls surrounding it, I created a black area in the center to resemble a black hole. With the exception of the title, the texts used were mainly filler texts. The title states "Space Apart," which I thought would be a fantastic statement to have in my poster, so I threw it in with a future font.




Fig - Draft Poster #3

This poster was straightforward; its main point was that social media is a negative influence and shouldn't be utilized. To illustrate how detrimental social media is to young people, I just drew a drawing of myself with a skull portraying death. I then placed the term "INSTA" all over in the backdrop with the intention of making the poster appear more profound than it actually is.



PROCESS


Fig - Original Image

This was the original image used to create my poster. 



Fig - Process #1

I began masking out my figure from the picture and added a purple and white gradient to the background of the image. 


Fig - Process #2

I utilized the pen tool to create a few shapes and lines to begin the process of turning myself into a cyborg. After adding the lines and shape, I added a bevel and emboss to make it look like grooves into my skin. 



Fig - Process #3

After adding the bevel and emboss, i added all the parts that make up a cyborg such as mechanical gears and metallic textures. 


Fig - Process #4

I decided to use a gradient to make my figure look as if its in a heat vision. I also added highlights in my eyes to make me look more futuristic. I added a tear in the background. 


Fig - Process #5

I added my eyes into the tear so I can animate the paper tearing revealing my eyes.  


Fig - Process #6

I added a few pictures of myself in the bottom left to remove the empty space and make the poster look more filled. 



FINAL POSTER

Fig - Final Poster

I chose a cyber theme for my poster because I was moved by similar posters and wanted to test if I could create one on my own. The text that surrounds the poster serves just aesthetic purposes and unifies the design as a whole; it has no meaningful significance. This poster mostly used a blend of red, blue, and orange colors. Since my poster is called after thermal vision, the reason I picked these colors for it was to mimic that effect. To create contrast and make my poster stand out more, I made the backdrop of the poster cold colors. To see yourself as your best self, is the message I want to get over to the audience. Try to always think positively about yourself and stop being so depressed all the time; else, you won't be able to recognize how amazing you are. being the best version of oneself first will help one learn about and develop into the best version of oneself.



FINAL ANIMATION

Fig - Animation Process #1

I added all my effects onto the layers that required it and timed it to make sure it is in sync with the rest of my animation. 


Fig - Animation Process #2

I then included music that I had downloaded from the internet, just using a portion of it for my animation.


Fig - Animation

I added easy ease and adjusted the speeds for all the effects to make everything have weight to it. I also animated the tear to reveal an eye to create more complexity to my animation, as well as i animated each elements in my poster to keep everything flowing and not have any awkward moments.  I also amended a more compatible and smoother transition of my self coming into frame. Overall, poster shows balance and strong visual hierarchy which visually demonstrate my artistic expression. 


FINAL PROJECT



Fig - Final Poster


Fig - Final Animation




FEEDBACK

Since all of the concepts and ideas were intriguing, I can move forward with any of them. However, he advised me to look for pictures of myself that are clear so I could improve the quality.



REFLECTION

Since after effects was a relatively new piece of software that was first introduced at the end of the semester, there was a lot of potential for experimenting and playtime with it, making this project my favorite assignment of the entire module. I had a great time playing with my sketches and digital posters since I could visualize each of my designs in advance because to my visual inventiveness. As well as experimenting with other aspects that might visually convey the ideal and irrational contrast I want to convey to the audience.

Comments

Popular Posts