Illustration & Visual Narrative / Project 2: Digital Triptych

21/09/2022 - 05/10/2022 (Week 3 - Week 6)
Hasnol Rafiq Bin Hasnol Raduan (0356767)
Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Illustration & Visual Narrative
Task 2: Digital Triptych & Chiaroscuro Exercise


LECTURES 

During our practical class session, we were given instructions on how to produce light and shadow in our illustrative drawings as well as a goal to complete, including generating a light and shadow for the pair.  I chose to experiment with the knife tool to give the pair the appearance of having pieces cut out of it and to add other variations to make the pair appear more indicative as a whole.

Figure 1.1 - Chiaroscuro


Figure 1.2 - Chiaroscuro #2


INSTRUCTIONS




DIGITAL  TRIPTYCH

VISUAL RESEARCH

Figure 2.1 - Visual Reference #1



Figure 2.1 - Visual Reference #2



Figure 2.1 - Visual Reference #3



PROCESS

We are required to use Adobe Illustrator to produce a submission for the digital triptych within the Open Designs area of the HONOR Competition. Cultural Prosperity: Celebration or Renewal of Life: Return are the available themes. I selected the topic of Cultural Prosperity since I had some thoughts related to it.

I decided to use a few scenes from the well-known Norse folktale Ragnarok to demonstrate my concept of cultural prosperity. In order to reproduce the feeling of storytelling, I wanted to develop a type of simple style that simply used block colors.


Fig 3.1 Outlines



Fig 3.2 - Colored



Fig 3.3 - Final Triptych  


You can observe that the general composition and layout are considerably more orderly and tidy. Based on my visual sources, it is obvious that my triptych actually employed a lot of pieces. Overall, this straightforward Digital Triptych communicates the depiction and application of the Norse cultural celebration using cultural folklore symbols and straightforward patterns to make the design comprehensible.



FEEDBACK

Mr. Hafiz assists by concentrating on how my artwork will be shown for public viewing. He often gave me compositional advice and pointed out options in Adobe Illustrator to help me make my work more visually beautiful and compelling to the viewer.



REFLECTION

It was enjoyable to be able to create a captivating image and tale for each of my projects by using my visual thinking and applying it to my design artworks. I had the greatest joy learning how to use Adobe Illustrator for the first time and using all of its wonderful capabilities. Even though I made mistakes and experienced difficulties along the way, I was still able to complete my tasks and learn a lot about illustrator.

Comments

Popular Posts