Design Principles - Project 1: Self-Portrait


20/09/2022–14/10/2022 / Week 6 - Week 8
Hasnol Rafiq bin Hasnol Raduan / 0356767

Design Principles / Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media
Project 1: Self-Portrait


INSTRUCTIONS

1. Create your own A4 self-portrait, apply design principles knowledge.
    - Write a 150-200 words rationale for your final idea.
2. Upload both designs in PDF file in your blog.
3. Send your blog link here.
4. Your blog must be in your actual name for easy identification. Make sure it has:
    a) Visual research
    b) Idea exploration
    c) Feedback from lecturer
    d) Final design outcome (pictures must be neatly cropped and must not be shadowy/blur)
    e) Brief reflection for the week

Materials: Any medium. Digital is allowed.

Contemplate your life experiences, which includes your culture, your family, your friends, your school days, your favorite hangouts, your favorite music, food, musician, etc. Observe your surroundings, people, vehicles, buildings, plants, signages, nature, and activities. Record these in sketches, photography, and/or video recording. Study all the visuals that you had collected. Select visuals that you find relevant and interesting to you, which you can translate into a design work to create a portrait of yourself. Remember to apply design principles in your work.



Figure 1 - Mind map// JPEG

I created a mind map that highlighted particular parts of myself to aid in the exploration of ideas for a self-portrait. The elements of who I am that I genuinely identify with are notably those that align with my interests.

VISUAL RESEARCH


Figure 2 - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/432486370448287080/

My design was inspired by the colors and outlining technique of this piece of art. I believed that this particular fashion truly mirrored how disorderly and disorganized I felt about myself. I liked the color palette a lot as well.


Figure 3 -https://www.pinterest.com/pin/198369558579098724/

This gave me inspiration, and I decided to utilize it to make three different personas of myself that mirrored my favorite pastimes. Since a self portrait is typically believed to have only one figure in it, this may be a neat idea.


Figure 4 - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/779967229191157393/



IDEA EXPLORATION



Figure 5 & 6- Self Portrait Sketch// JPEG 

Figure 7- Self Portrait Sketch// JPEG



Figure 8- Self Portrait Sketch// JPEG

I took the decision to concentrate mostly on the more funny aspects of my life, which were what made me joyful, based on the mental map. To demonstrate that I don't take life too seriously, I showed this by posing silly. I tried to make my physique in figure 5 as muscular as I could since that is the sort of body I aspire to have. I used a lot of jokes to surround my figure in figure 6 to represent the less serious aspect. Figure 7 demonstrates both my passion of skateboarding and flowers, particularly sunflowers. In figure 8, I attempted to take my design more seriously and used the thought I had when studying figure 3. I kept utilizing this concept because I felt it more accurately and professionally reflected who I am.

FINAL SELF-PORTRAIT

Figure 9 - Progression of Self Portrait// JPEG




Figure 10 - Final Self Portrait// JPEG


With three different personalities, I can show how I interact with others and how important my various characteristics are to who I am. The injuries in my first skateboard portrait of myself are supposed to convey that I may be a little too harsh on myself at times, while the flowers stand in for my source of solace. The second portrait of myself with headphones demonstrates how I am most at ease while listening to music and that I am less tense and apprehensive. This is demonstrated by having that portrait lie down in a relaxed position. My final representation of myself with the basketball demonstrates how I am a sporty person who also uses exercise to relieve any occasional feelings of anxiety or worry. This is depicted with my hands in a cradle posture over my face.

Lecturer's Feedback

Week 5: 
After reviewing my mind map, Dr. Jinchi advised me to base my artwork on one of my interests, such as music, as it would enable me to be more creative.


Week 6:
Dr. Jinchi advised that I make more designs that truly express how I see myself rather than just having designs that highlight my interests and hobbies after seeing all three of my concept explorations. My design will be more meaningful to them and be executed more skillfully in this way.


Week 7: 
The composition is strong and demonstrates balance as a key design element. My rationale should better explain the three sides of me so it doesn't come off as a bunch of pals hanging together. Since it appears a little bit unfinished, the backdrop needs a little more attention.
Reflection

Self-portraiture is not my favored form of artwork. The freedom to express ourselves anyway we pleased, not even having to resemble ourselves, was what I found most enjoyable about this project. I found it a little challenging to portray myself and personality in my self-portrait, because I don't often consider who I am or how I feel. It feels odd to create a self-portrait for a project because I don't particularly enjoy thinking about myself. I was able to improve my design and thinking skills thanks to this assignment. I discovered how to add personality to my designs and make an intriguing self-portrait.

Comments

Popular Posts